MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Full-Text Search

Common Words Becoming Stopwords Problem
Posted by: sipatha ncube
Date: April 08, 2006 08:49AM

Hie there good people.

I've a small challenge here. I want to build an Employment Agency such that people will be able to search for jobs and all other related search functions.

I have read the MySQL manual and it say that if a word appears 50% or more in the rows it will be regarded as a stopword
..........The stopword list applies. In addition, words that are present in more than 50% of the rows are considered common and do not match. .....

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/fulltext-search.html

Now i see the site is going to be used mainly by IT companies therefore there can be a likelyhood that words like 'Java' and 'VB' will appear more that 50% of the time in the database. MySQL developers thinks it might not produce desired results, but for a site as small as mine these are the desired and best results.

I think the issue of deciding when a word becomes a stopword should be left to the developer and not decided by MySQL, since these are particular to a given domain, i mean 'Java' might be enunsense when looking for tutorials but not when you looking for a job, and you would want to see all the available Java jobs.

Is there a work around for this??? I really need to get this going in no time. I can't contemplate myself changing databases at this stage of development.

Any related help is welcome.

rgds

sipatha.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Common Words Becoming Stopwords Problem
April 08, 2006 08:49AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.