MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Full-Text Search

Re: multi table / multi field search
Posted by: Mayssam Sayyadian
Date: April 19, 2007 09:38AM

Hi,

To the best of my knowledge, MySQL (like any other RDBMS), doesn't provide multi-column keyword search facility. My guess is that you have to iterate over the columns of desired tables and create text-indexes on every texual attribute that you think your keywords may appear in them. You need to write a procedure to iterate over all of them, and combine the results to show to the user.

Thanks to the Google Summer of Code (GSoC), I am currently working on building a multi-column multi-table keyword search engine for MySQL and we're planning a release for late summer.
http://code.google.com/soc/mysql/appinfo.html?csaid=B01A755F6D9927C5

Given that you are having such a problem right now, let me ask you a few questions:

1- When you ask a query with multiple keywords, do you want tuples that have all the keywords? Or tuples with some of the keywords are also desired?

2- It may happen that a keyword appears in a tuple in table A, and another keyword appears in table B, but the two tuples are connected via some join path, e.g., A.custid = B.custid. In such cases, do you prefer to have a joined tuple (A join B) in your results, or you prefer two different tuples with incomplete set of keywords in them?

I am asking you, and anyone else who may have happened to think about multi-column multi-table keyword search.

Best,
--mayssam

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
April 01, 2007 08:38AM
Re: multi table / multi field search
April 19, 2007 09:38AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.