MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Full-Text Search

Need advise on a small project but HUGE database.
Posted by: Tea Elm
Date: January 04, 2006 08:50PM

Hey guys,

im just looking to get some advise about an upcoming project of mine..

it's pretty small and straight forward.. just a simple searching and displaying of documents..client wants people to search through documents (originally in PDF to be converted to plain text and inserted into database).. and view them in plain html pages.

The documents are simple as well.. Title, author, date, body.. and perhaps some other small things

So it's pretty straight forward and i've done development on more complex queries than that...

However for this "simple" project, what worries me is that it has around 2million documents!!!!! hehe

So now i must ask your advises and tips as to the best way to do this in terms of speed/optimization..

I was planning to do a pretty standard/straight forward method of searching trhough em.. title, date, BODY, etc.. nothing special.. and also to break up the database and require user to select at least a category and a date range of maximum 1 year.. (documents go back 10 years i believe) .. i was thinking this would make the system faster as it does not have to go trhough all of the records..

is that ok? do i have the solution under my nose or is there something special that needs to be done with handling such a huge database?

to top it all.. client wants the search to be executable in under 2 seconds.. is that even possible?

Hoping for some advises..

Tea

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Need advise on a small project but HUGE database.
January 04, 2006 08:50PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.