MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL Query Browser

Slow Query Performance / SELECT DISTINCT w/COUNTs
Posted by: JP Howlett
Date: March 11, 2012 03:36PM

Hi, I have a query that is causing me some serious performance problems. It takes over 26 seconds to run. The problem exists on both my local test server and GoDaddy's server, so I don't think it's a problem with the server or hardware. The query is part of a series of queries used to create an interface that allows a user to build a mailing list from a table of about 100,000 records by selecting a state and then refining by county and city. This particular query, builds all the counties NOT currently in the selection for a given state -- the example below uses NJ.

Here is the query:
SELECT DISTINCT clients.county AS cn,
(SELECT COUNT(clients.id) FROM clients WHERE clients.state LIKE 'NJ' AND county LIKE cn ) AS cnt
FROM clients LEFT JOIN list_crit_county ON clients.county = list_crit_county.county
WHERE clients.state LIKE 'NJ' AND list_crit_county.county IS NULL ORDER BY cn ASC

I have indexes in the clients table on state, county, city, and I also have an index that is all 3 of those columns called refinecity (state, county, city).

The list_crit_county table is just a list of counties where the county name is the primary key (no other columns).

When I run the query with EXPLAIN, this is the output:
id select_type table type possible_keys key key_len ref rows Extra
1 PRIMARY clients range state,refinecity refinecity 2 NULL 3209 Using where; Using index; Using temporary; Using filesort
1 PRIMARY list_crit_county eq_ref PRIMARY PRIMARY 52 arnetdata.clients.county 1 Using where; Using index; Not exists; Distinct
2 DEPENDENT SUBQUERY clients range state,refinecity state 2 NULL 2688 Using where

Any help in figuring out how to optimize the query or table structure to improve performance would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Slow Query Performance / SELECT DISTINCT w/COUNTs
March 11, 2012 03:36PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.