MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL Query Browser

Could not connect to specific instance. MySQL Error Number 2003
Posted by: Robin Briggs
Date: September 10, 2012 12:41PM

I have MySQL Installed on a Virtual Machine, and I needed to access the machine from other machines on the network. When I attempted to Open Query Browser or anything else, I would get the MySQL log-in Window.

I entered the:
- hostname (The Machine Name, or if you want to try with an IP you can do this by typing "ipconfig /all" from the command line and check your systems, IP and Hostname),
- the username, in my case I used "root"
- the password
- the default port 3306 is already populated the box, and
- the schema, which is the name of the DB in my case

Every time, The system hangs for about a minute and then throws an error that says:

Could not connect to the specified instance.

MySQL Error Number 2003
Can't connect to MySQL server on 'SGSS-VM1' (10060)

If you want to check the network connection, please click the Ping button.

So I clicked the ping button and the ping worked fine. To correct this problem, I went to the host machine and put in two firewall rules. My windows firewall was "On" and I figured it had this port blocked. Installing MySQL (at least the versuion I had) did not put in firewall rules for this default port "3306". Now I am working in Windows 7 here. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

I went into the Control Panel and navigated to the Firewall Settings page. In Advanced Security,
1. I clicked on "Inbound Rules"
2. and added a "New Rule"
3. the Type was "Port".
4. In the "Specific local ports:" box I put in 3306.
5. On the Next Page, I clicked "Allow the Connection"
6. Then on the next page all three boxes were checked "Domain", "Private", and "Public" then on the next page
7. I put in a Name and a description. This can be whatever you like.
8. I clicked finish.

Repeat this same process for your "Outbound Rules".

This fixed the problem for me. The error you

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Could not connect to specific instance. MySQL Error Number 2003
September 10, 2012 12:41PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.