MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL Query Browser

Re: distinct to exclude fields from same table?
Posted by: Oliver Peters
Date: August 18, 2005 04:32PM

I meant

compare the results of

strSQL = "SELECT t.PLZ, t.Ort, " & _
"t.Strasse, t.Hausnummer, t.Nachname, t.Vorname, " & _
"t.Vertragsart, t.Versorgung, t.aktive_WE, t.max_WE, " & _
"t.letzter_Wechse, t.Kuendigungsgr, t.Telefonie, t.FSA, " & _
"t.HSI, t.uep_zustand, t.Agentur, " & _
"t.BEMERKUNG, t.[AUSGEFÜHRTE ARBEIT] " & _
"FROM [Kopie von Objekt_Daten_Steger] AS t "

and

strSQL = "SELECT DISTINCT t.PLZ, t.Ort, " & _
"t.Strasse, t.Hausnummer, t.Nachname, t.Vorname, " & _
"t.Vertragsart, t.Versorgung, t.aktive_WE, t.max_WE, " & _
"t.letzter_Wechse, t.Kuendigungsgr, t.Telefonie, t.FSA, " & _
"t.HSI, t.uep_zustand, t.Agentur, " & _
"t.BEMERKUNG, t.[AUSGEFÜHRTE ARBEIT] " & _
"FROM [Kopie von Objekt_Daten_Steger] AS t "

DISTINCT only works because there is no difference between the records "it makes invisible" and the one that is left.

But this doen't solve your problem - if I understand correct you have cases where every field content except Object_Nummer and Kundennum can be multiple times in your table and you can't eliminate duplicates because if you include Object_Nummer and Kundennum the records are unique (think about it I had the same problem and needed my time to understand).

The solution in theory is very: simple - take a decision: what should be the unambigious combination of your 2 fields for every record?

But my recommendation is: think again - is this really what you want? Maybe first of all you have a building (ojectno & address) and this building consists of appartements (subobjectnos & clients) or not (subobjectno & client) and related are the fields about the work that is done on specific dates. There is no redundance; you' re only thinking in the false direction. Maybe the only problem is that you don't like how the table looks like? Than you should try to develop a report (maybe with ACCESS)

good night
oliver

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: distinct to exclude fields from same table?
August 18, 2005 04:32PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.