MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

Access denied for user error
Posted by: John Dunn
Date: August 19, 2004 01:31PM

I am not a programmer.

First: I have just installed mysql-4.0.20d-win on a Windows 2000 server. I am trying to create a new database. I read the following on page 91 of the MySQL Technical Reference for Version 5.01-alpha.

If you attempt to run a MySQL client program to connect to a server running
on the same machine, but get the error Access denied for user 'someuser
'@'unknown' to database 'mysql', this means that MySQL cannot resolve
your hostname properly. To fix this, you should create a file named ‘\windows\hosts’ containing the following information: 127.0.0.1 localhost

This is the exact error I get, but I do not understand the instructions to create a file named ‘\windows\hosts’ containing the following information: 127.0.0.1 localhost.

As an alternative, I am trying to connect to the server from a different machine. As I said, I am not a programmer. Regarding this, on page 184 of the same manual I read the following line.

shell> mysql -h host -u user -p
Enter password: ********

I do not know how this works. I don't know how to determine the "shell" path to the server machine.

Thanks. JD

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
August 19, 2004 01:31PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.