MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

Growth increment and pre-sizing of MyISAM data files
Posted by: Ryan Thompson
Date: September 20, 2004 12:50AM

I have a database containing large MyISAM tables which contain log data inserted constantly but rarely read. The problem I am running into is that the MyISAM tables only grow when they need more room, and so far as I can see, only by
enough to hold the data for the current insert. Because of this, the database server's disk is becoming rapidly fragmented as the MyISAM files are only growing by a few blocks at a time, and nearly constantly.

Since I have an idea of the maximum size these tables will reach before they are read into offline backups and truncated, is there a way to pre-set the size of the MyISAM data files as there is with InnoDB's data files? Or, is there a way to force the MyISAM table to grow by a specified amount each time that it is necessary, so that larger blocks are allocated to reduce fragmentation?

I have looked over all of the documentation, and I haven't found any information on the internal workings of the MyISAM engine as regards file allocation. If there is information I have missed, I would appreciate pointers to it.

I am aware that InnoDB allows this, but I've already run comparative tests of this application between the two table types, and MyISAM was be much faster, regardless of this fragmentation issue.

Thank you,
Ryan Thompson

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Growth increment and pre-sizing of MyISAM data files
September 20, 2004 12:50AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.