MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

access denied; having issues with access via terminal
Posted by: Darcy D'Amato
Date: November 24, 2012 10:51AM

Bottom line: I'm having problems with 'access denied'.

I've been trying to figure this out on my own for at least a week now. I searched google, looked through stackoverflow, this forum, and many other forums as well. I tried. No need for any LMGTFY type responses. I know how to search on my own, but I also know when to ask for help. So I hope someone can help me with this issue I'm having.

I will use # to indicate comments. I hope that this will make the rest of my post easy to read and understand for you to help me better.
(I have A.D.D. and I'm a visual learner; I find it easier to understand something when I can see it. Having said that, I've included pictures for those who are the same way.

# The next three lines are details about what I'm using.
I have a Mac OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2).
I'm using MAMP (Get Info says it's version 2.1.1).
I've installed mysql via homebrew.

# MAMP status indicates that MySQL Server is working.

# This image is from MAMP PHPMyAdmin, under Users overview.

# This image is from my terminal.

# This image is from my terminal.

I've followed many instructions.
There are those that give very specific instructions on what to enter in the terminal (which is great), however they don't say what to do if the step I'm on doesn't work. Which I kind of understand, since these are the tutorials tailored to specific issues.
And then there are those that asked on stackoverflow and forums, where users ask specific questions concerning their own specific issues, which is also great - especially when I can see the back and forth conversation that goes something like:
"I did this, but it didn't work."
"Try this."
"Yes, thank you!" or "No, what next?"
"Did you do this?"
"Yes, it's working, thank you!"
Okay, so it's not exactly like that, but I was super paraphrasing. There's actually less rudeness, but I was just making a point. (Sorry, I got off topic. That's my A.D.D. for you, hehe)

I can't think of anything else to add right now.

EDIT1: I tried adding a user from the Users overview section in PHPMyAdmin.

I hadn't added a password though.
So I added a password, but it still didn't work.

Also, why does it say YES under Grant, but then, look at the tooltip...

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2012 11:19AM by Darcy D'Amato.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.