MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

windows zip upgrade - cleanup afterwards
Posted by: C H
Date: December 09, 2020 11:34AM

On an existing server, I had to upgrade from 5.6.49 to latest 5.7 version.

Obviously could not use the installer to go from 5.6 to 5.7, so per documentation I used the zip upgrade method.

It worked like a champ. mysql_update ran without errors and end users have confirmed all is well.

Before releasing it for testing, I made a few changes after the fact (related to folders/paths/etc) so that the directory structure and my.ini reflected the now updated version of 5.7 instead of 5.6. Hated the fact that the 5.7 install was in folders/path showing 5.6.

All is good... almost.

If I run the installer, it still thinks that 5.6 is installed so wont offer any upgrades.

If I look in Programs&Features, it still shows the 5.6.49 version.

I have looked around but found no real information/documentation on how to clean up after doing a zip upgrade.

Given that the zip upgrade is the recommended path for upgrading in this situaion per the documentation, it seems there should be some documentation on cleanup after the fact.

I have found some information on how to do some registry edits that may change what is seen in Programs&Features. Not sure if that would change what mysql installer wills see/report though.

Also not sure what this upgrade method injects should one decide to back it all up and uninstall it in the future.

Anyone done the zip upgrade between non-minor versions and cleaned up afterwards?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
windows zip upgrade - cleanup afterwards
C H
December 09, 2020 11:34AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.