MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

Re: Cannot Create Windows Service for MySQL. Error:0 - VARIED SOLUTIONS
Posted by: Jean-Paul Bourdais
Date: February 08, 2009 09:35AM

Long post I know. I spent literally _hours_ on this so just wanted to share some of my observations to save you some time. Incidentally Win XP Service Pack 2 installing MySQL 5.1.31 MSI. Seems like the non msi MySQL 4.1 installer doesn't have this problem.

MY SOLUTION

(Take UNLOADS and BACKUPS of data files/dirs if you need to. This is a full re-install)

My solution was to get rid of all the profile application data. So ensure that you

- uninstall the instance (including server) using instance configuration wizard, (in C:\Program Files\MySQL\My SQL Server 5.1\bin\MySQLInstanceConfig.exe), choosing remove.
- now remove MySQL via Control Panel->add/remove programs, may need to F5 refresh list if not there.
- make sure MySQL dir in C:\Program Files is now deleted in its entirety. There may be old Data files lying around.
- *most importantly*, make sure that any MySQL dir in the following dirs are deleted. Mine weren't hidden but worth checking that too:
= C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data
= C:\Documents and Settings\<myuser>\Application Data
- re-install from MSI
- Do not use installation path for data It'll still work but I couldn't find my data file. Use something else like C:\Program Files\MySQL\Data.

OTHER OBSERVATIONS/SOLUTIONS

1. This message seems to only appear after you have installed a previous version of mySQL

2. Removing the service on it's own using 'sc delete MySQL' or the service remover didn't do it for me. Better off IMHO re-running the instance configuration wizard and choosing the 'remove' option. It's way cleaner.

3. If you get three boxes instead of 2 on the instance configuration for server passwords then you haven't removed the service properly. use the config wizard and double check application profiles.

4. Some people recommend the following. These had no effect for me (Really was the Application Data and nothing else) but maybe they woud have an effect for others on other configurations and systems.
- Shut down your firewall or open the default MySQL port
- Manually remove MySQL registry entries (this can be risky if you don't know what you're doing and in any case slows it down with reboots)
- Delete old data files.
- Delete old my.ini files (e.g. check C:\WINDOWS as well as MySQL dirs)
(For me all data and my.ini files went with the uninstall/manual delete of C:\Program Files\MySQL)

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2009 11:31AM by Jean-Paul Bourdais.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
May 02, 2007 10:32AM
Re: Cannot Create Windows Service for MySQL. Error:0 - VARIED SOLUTIONS
February 08, 2009 09:35AM
March 26, 2009 05:19PM
May 17, 2009 07:38AM
May 23, 2009 05:53AM
August 10, 2009 04:49AM
August 13, 2009 04:12AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.