MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

Re: "mysql_connect(): Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client"
Posted by: brendan
Date: October 30, 2006 11:50PM

Thanks mglatts for the original solution and to Iain and khalid for updating it with some more useful steps for further issues. Unfortunately I cannot get the solutions to work correctly with the new builds of mysql.

My config is using IIS , MySQL 5.0.26 or 5.0.27 with GUI tools 5.0-r4 , php 4.4.4 , and phpMyAdmin-2.9.0.2

Adding the old_passwords or old_password=1 (or alternatively using MySQL Admin >Startup Variables >Security >Use Old Passwords to do it for you) to my.ini causes major problems with MySQL Admin as well as the Command Line Client.

First observation was that the checkbox in MySQL Admin does not stay checked.

2nd) PhpMyAdmin contiues to yield the #1251 - Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client

3rd) Command Line Client will no longer launch from Programs Menu. Whenever you try to start it, it pops up really quick and is gone in less than a second (kind of like if you try to run a command from RUN instead of at the command prompt. This is preventing even the possibility of using " mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR root@localhost = OLD_PASSWORD('mypass'); " to force the password. Can someone tell me which .exe file from the bin directory is the Command Line Client so I can run it from the command prompt?

4)Logging into MySQL Admin producess a couple of Access Violation at Address errors.

5)Running mysql.exe from the Command Prompt produces " mysql: unkown variable 'old_passwords=1'

6) Removing the old_passwords or old_password=1 from the my.ini fixes errors 3-5, but leaves us back at the start.

I can get PHPmyAdmin to function using no password for the root user or by creating a password and doing a " mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR root@localhost = OLD_PASSWORD('mypass'); " as long as I do not add the old_passwords reference to my.ini However, when I create a second user in MySQLAdmin and try to use the Conmmand Line Client to set the password to OLD I get an error 1133 (42000) Can't find any matching row in the user table.

Anyone have any other suggestions. The old solutions no longer seem to work.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
December 31, 2005 12:02AM
December 31, 2005 02:28AM
March 29, 2006 03:12AM
March 24, 2007 02:58PM
January 03, 2006 07:48AM
March 16, 2006 10:03AM
November 02, 2005 07:38AM
January 16, 2006 03:46PM
July 24, 2006 07:40AM
March 28, 2006 11:18PM
August 23, 2006 01:21PM
Re: "mysql_connect(): Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client"
October 30, 2006 11:50PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.