MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

Re: Cannot start mysqld after fresh install
Posted by: Shane Furlong
Date: April 06, 2016 09:04AM

Well, I am a bit closer to knowing why my attempts to start the service fail. The default location for my .pid file is /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid, the owner is linux user mysql with a permissions on the file of 640, permissions on the directory /var/run/mysqld is 755 and it is owned by linux user mysql as well. When I attempt to start the server, it keeps trying to start but eventually gives up and fails. Nothing in the log is of any use.
When I go into my /etc/my.cnf file and hardcode this:
[mysqld_safe]
pid-file=/var/lib/mysql/mysqld.pid (putting the pid file in my data directory)

and then when I attempt to start the service, it works. It also creates a "bonus" pid file (mysqld_safe.pid). The datadir is owned by mysql of course with permissions of 751. The 2 files that are created when I start the server have these attributes
mysqld.pid (owned by mysql with 640 permissions)
mysqd_safe.pid (owned by root with 660 permissions).
While this change has me up and running, I am still confused why the out of the box RPM location did not work. Having said that, this is a new version 5.7.11 for Red Hat el6 64 bit RPM. It could be a version specific bug.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.