MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

Offline Installation Issues
Posted by: Jay Vanderwood
Date: June 12, 2020 11:58AM

MySQL: v8.0.20

I am developing an application with MySQL that may need to be installed in an environment that has no (or highly restricted) Internet access. The necessary files will have to be transferred to the system manually.

I have downloaded the full installer, but when I select options to install, it wants to download the Visual C++ Redistributable. I attempted to pre-install this component, but it doesn't seem to bother to check. Worse, I have selected only 3 components (Server, Workbench, and Shell) and it appears to want to install individually for each component. If it fails to do so, it removes that component from the list it will attempt to install.

To be clear, there are three issues here:

1) If I download an offline installer, I pretty much expect it to include all the third-party files with it.

1a) When using an offline installer, I don't expect the installer to attempt to use the Internet to download anything.

2) If I install something with dependencies, I fully expect the install application to check first to see if that dependency is already met so that it isn't doing unnecessary work.

The first two issues, I consider to be poor design. The last issue I consider a critical defect of the installer.

If anyone knows of a way to work around and/or correct this issue (other than to tell the customer they have to open up the firewall), I would be grateful. I did some Internet and forum searches and couldn't come up with something that was specific to my scenario, so I apologize in advance if I have overlooked a ready-made answer to this.

Thank you for your time,

-Jay

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Offline Installation Issues
June 12, 2020 11:58AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.