MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Optimizer & Parser

Re: cant get LEFT JOIN to work properly when ORDER'ing BY
Posted by: Toa Sty
Date: August 21, 2006 07:25AM

[Edit - I've done something similar in a much nicer way in the followup post]

Hi :)

As I think you know, a GROUP BY member_id in MySQL will remove all but one row with the same member_id.

Are you trying to ensure that the one row that's left per member_id after the GROUP BY is the one with a image_main=1 (if there is one)?

This page http://mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/group-by-hidden-fields.html says "The server is free to return any value from the group, so the results are indeterminate unless all values are the same."

So I guess your ORDER BY won't help you the way you'd like it to.

So anyway I've had a very quick go at writing a query to do what you want - though it's probably not the most elegent way to do it.
It uses subqueries too, so you need to be using MySQL 4.1 or newer.

It's composed by running:
SELECT m.member_id as MMID, (select image_id from paz_images i where m.member_id=i.member_id order by img_main desc limit 1) as IIID FROM paz_members m;
which gives you a member_id and corresponding image_id for the highest img_main per member.
(this is where you add your second ORDER BY on img_insert_date if you want)

Once you have a member_id and corresponding image_id, it's just a matter of using these IDs to retrieve the rows you want from paz_image and paz_members

so, do something like:

SELECT m_o.*, i_o.*
FROM
paz_members m_o,
paz_images i_o,
(SELECT m.member_id AS MMID, (SELECT image_id FROM paz_images i WHERE m.member_id=i.member_id ORDER BY img_main DESC LIMIT 1) AS IIID FROM paz_members m) AS mi_i
WHERE
m_o.member_id = i_o.member_id
AND m_o.member_id = MMID
AND i_o.image_id = IIID;

It seems to work for me on a simple test table I made, though as I said I've not spent much time so it might be a bit buggy or slow or whatever.

It should give you a starting point to work from though. :)

Hope it helps,
Toasty

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2006 02:19PM by Toa Sty.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: cant get LEFT JOIN to work properly when ORDER'ing BY
August 21, 2006 07:25AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.