MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Optimizer & Parser

Large IN() Comparison Optimize Help
Posted by: Garrett Gyssler
Date: February 11, 2007 02:51AM

Hello everyone. I'm running a query on a table with over 100,000 rows in it. Basically, I'm performing a "similar" check on books that people have logged in their "book list". It looks through the table and checks to see who has the most number of books similar to you. Here's the query:

select count(a.mem_id) as numMatches,m.username,m.mem_id as memberID from book_list a LEFT JOIN book_list_members m ON a.mem_id=m.mem_id where a.book_id in(224,164,30,43,47,1,6,52,90,45,120,270,...,2442) GROUP BY a.mem_id ORDER BY numMatches DESC LIMIT 50

In the in() comparison, this can be anywhere from 1 integer to 1000 integers, it all depends on how many books a user has in their list. I've indexed "book_id", but unfortunately if there are more than say, 100 elements in the IN() comparison, the query takes anywhere from 1-2 seconds to execute. That's a long time when I have hundreds of users hitting a website and running that query. Is there a better way to do this? Is there a way I can "store" this query result somewhere, and only have it updated every couple hours (cached in other words, for immediate access).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks a ton!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Large IN() Comparison Optimize Help
February 11, 2007 02:51AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.