MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Optimizer & Parser

Optimizer choosing wrong index
Posted by: Daniel Kasak
Date: March 19, 2018 05:48PM

Hi all. I have a simple select query on a large table selecting the wrong index, and I can't see why. I've renamed tables & columns to protect internal company info. The query:

---

SELECT ID FROM V2_THING WHERE DEMO='N' AND CREATED_DATETIME > NOW() - INTERVAL 50 DAY AND STATUS='C'

---

Relevant indexes:

KEY `idx_status_thing` (`status`)
KEY `idx_created_datetime_thing` (`created_datetime`)

---

Data profile:

STATUS = 'C': 14,690,555 records
STATUS = 'I': 67,348,939 records
STATUS = 'X': 3 records

CREATED_DATETIME > NOW() - INTERVAL 50 DAY: 4,569,918 records

---

Based on this, I would expect the optimizer to choose the idx_created_datetime_thing index, as it culls the table down to 4,569,918 records, as opposed to the idx_status_thing index, which only culls the table to 14,690,555 records. ( Note this profile was taken about 2 days before the optimizer trace, so figures might be *slightly* different now, but not significantly.

---

The optimizer trace:
https://pastebin.com/eEua9Tqv

Parts of this trace suggest the optimizer is correctly ( in my opinion ) choosing the idx_created_datetime_thing idex, but then later on it switches to using idx_status_thing, and near the bottom it even appears to mix up the rows_for_plan ( idx_created_datetime_thing ) and cost_for_plan ( idx_status_thing ) figures:

"condition_filtering_pct": 1.2741,
"rows_for_plan": 503604,
"cost_for_plan": 1.11e7,
"chosen": true

What's going on?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Optimizer choosing wrong index
March 19, 2018 05:48PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.