MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Optimizer & Parser

Re: Very Large Non-Dynamic Table for Lookups
Posted by: Eidetic Hans
Date: October 25, 2009 11:23AM

You're right, not all SSNs have been allocated. I actually only have around 10,000,000 but the integrity can't be vouched for. The reason it may go up is because I can generate SSNs and randomly assign UIDs for future projects. What I'm mainly interested in is using MySQL as a basic retrieval system for large data sets (not a full transactional or even relational system).

The company or department IDs didn't come with the data. That's a good question, though. Maybe they were stripped before being given to me.

100 disk hits a second sounds costly. Since the table won't increase anymore would there be a way to minimize this? If I sort the SSNs, would that make a difference?

I'll increase the innodb_buffer_pool_size to 70%. I'm running XP with 2GB of memory (not ideal) but this would be a dedicated action.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: Very Large Non-Dynamic Table for Lookups
October 25, 2009 11:23AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.