MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Optimizer & Parser

Re: Query is so slow
Posted by: Rick James
Date: November 02, 2009 10:45AM

You have 2 unrelated queries. First, let me discuss a third query (since you provided the data needed to explain it thoroughly):

SELECT * FROM gift gift0_ WHERE gift0_.client_id=24;

Plan A: Walk thru the 1.5M entries in the INDEX for client_id; for each of them reach over into the data (random disk fetch) to find the data.

Plan B: Totally ignore the INDEX; simply go thru the 4M data rows consecutively, filtering out the uninteresting ones as it goes. (You have not provided the number of rows in the table; I made up the 4M for this discussion.)

Plan A has to read a lot of blocks of the index, plus probably all of the data blocks. Furthermore the data blocks are probably scattered around.

Plan B is straightforward, may take advantage of readahead, etc.

Plan B is faster.

Plan B was picked when the optimizer decided that 1.5M was "too big" a percentage of 3.6M.

Face it, doing a query that needs to hit 1.5M rows will take time.

Back to your queries...
I can't tell if client 15 also has "too many" rows.

SELECT count(*) FROM gift gift0_ WHERE gift0_.client_id=24;
says "Using index". That means that the optimizer realized it could do all the work in the index blocks, thereby not hitting the data blocks at all.
It said 3552560 as an estimate; granted, a rather poor estimate. It will examine only 1.5M rows of the index.

SELECT  *  FROM gift gift0_ WHERE gift0_.client_id=24;
is a different query, with a different EXPLAIN plan. It cannot be "Using index", and runs as I described above.

This are two more situations:
SELECT count(*) FROM gift gift0_ WHERE gift0_.client_id=24 AND ...; 
SELECT    *     FROM gift gift0_ WHERE gift0_.client_id=24 AND ...;
Because of the extra AND, it cannot be "Using index", and it will have to hit 1.5M rows of index _and_ data (unless there is a better index than (client_id)).

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
October 30, 2009 08:45AM
October 31, 2009 10:19AM
October 31, 2009 03:49PM
November 01, 2009 09:49PM
Re: Query is so slow
November 02, 2009 10:45AM
November 02, 2009 02:22PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.