MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Ruby

hierarchical data communication between ruby and mysql
Posted by: Curtis Pastore
Date: October 22, 2009 12:14PM

Hey guys,
First off I apologise for the lengthy post. But read on and it may peak your interest :)

I have recently been given the task of modeling some hierarchical data in my 5.0.45 installation. I'm using the 'Nested Set Model' as dictated in the following article:
http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/hierarchical-data.html
(props to Mike Hillyer :))

I believe I have everything I need to model the data in place, with some storred procedures to help create the tree-like structures in my underlying DB table. (Like add node, delte node, rename node ... etc) Now my issue is to define an "XML-esque" way of communicating these tree like structures from the Ruby app as parameters to my sprocs.

We know that sprocs can only take a finite and predetermined amount of arguments. Passing dynamically sized lists of arguments can be accomplished by passing a single delimited string for which the sproc would then split and process each item in turn.

Taking that a step further suggests passing a big-ass XML-like string as the singe string parameter which could get hectic and unpleasant. I should look up some XML parsing algorithms for some insight but I was wondering if anyone else out there has experience with this sort of thing.

Why not have the app call the sprocs directly? At this point I am against having that happen as I ultimately need to make another sproc to process the tree and thus will need to guarantee not only a integral and legit tree structure at all times, but also a guarantee the preservation of a certain context (ie: only certain elements may appear as the leaf nodes and other certain elements must be on the first depth .. etc)

So ultimately my question is:
What is the easiest way for a Ruby app to dictate a tree-like structure to a mysql installation?

Thanks everyone!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
hierarchical data communication between ruby and mysql
October 22, 2009 12:14PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.