MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Source, Builds, Binaries

mysql: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.6
Posted by: Dave Kennard
Date: January 25, 2016 05:02AM

I've built mysql from source and am following the post-installation initilisation guide at https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/data-directory-initialization-mysqld.html

However, when I try to acesss mysql to change the temporary root password I get the error:
./bin/mysql: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

When compiling mysql, I configured it with the non-standard location where I have ncurses installed:
-DCURSES_LIBRARY=$HOME/apps/ncurses/lib/libncurses.so -DCURSES_INCLUDE_PATH=$HOME/apps/ncurses/include/

So it should be looking in the correct place for libncurses.so.6, though since the error message doesn't give the full path I can't be sure. It's also interesting that it's looking for libncurses.so.6 (which does exist) even though I specified libncurses.so (with no version number). libncurses.so is a symlink to libncurses.so.6, which is a symlink to libncurses.so.6.0

Do I also need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH or LDFLAGS when configuring, or is there some other reason why it can't find the shared lib? It seems strange that it compiled OK if it wasn't looking in the right place for ncurses.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
mysql: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.6
January 25, 2016 05:02AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.