MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Source, Builds, Binaries

Re: failed/faulty install on OS X.5/PPC
Posted by: Moishe Weiss
Date: January 05, 2010 07:19PM

I did notice that the install directory alias /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql
does not match the stated socket location /var/mysql/mysql.sock,
but I am not sure if it should. I don't really know how that works.

In any case there is a much more fundamental problem than the path. The bash statement about the CPU type means that the installer successfully installed the wrong build (or something like that) which is weird. As noted above, there is no PPC-specific 5.1 package. The documentation of the install page says that 5.1 is supported on both Intel and Power PC though. This implies that the package labeled ...x86-64... is a universal. Alternatively, it means that someone "oopsed" big and either stated incorrectly that PPC is supported or forgot to upload the ppc install file.

If the file mentioned above is a universal, then something went wrong during the install, but it was a DMG and they are usually idiot proof. (Except that they do install Intel stuff on the PPC, which then doesn't run.)

I wouldn't actually know how to install without the DMG. I've been relying on MSI for Microsoft and DMG for Apple for so long that I don't remember how to do it manually. I am worried that if I install something manually I will royally mess up some OS things. I did that when I was running 10.4 which is why I eventually upgraded to 10.5. I also just reinstalled the OS and don't want ot ruin it again this soon.

Would installing MySQL from source really solve the problem?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
January 03, 2010 03:16PM
Re: failed/faulty install on OS X.5/PPC
January 05, 2010 07:19PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.