MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Source, Builds, Binaries

$INCLUDE Apache Portable Runtime Libraries [APR]
Posted by: Terry James
Date: January 15, 2006 02:05PM

Perhaps a feature request, but it would be so much easier to compile MySQL on any machine, and/or to install it, with the simple inclusion of the Apache Portable Runtime Libraries.

APR instantly allows one to use the --enable-layout=LAYOUT option in the configure script that makes Apache the single program that installs on any machine, with any Operating System and with any architecture.

It also allows Apache to use the --with-most option for inclusion of other applications and libraries linked to its core runtime environment.

You would be absolutely amazed at just how many failed compiles and installs this eliminates. Something like 999,999 out of a million.

Whereby the Apache developers can spend a lot more time on developing code and a whole lot less on fixing code that simply doesn't work because only one in one million users can successfully compile and/or install Apache on the first go at it.

APR is being ported as an independent library and developers are just discovering the power of this tool.

I would think it's about time for MySQL to discover the APR's: the Apache Portable Runtime Libraries.

Because then I wouldn't have to spend hundreds of wasted hours on fixing the configure script, the failed make, and the failed make install that inevitably occurs when I try to put MySQL where I want MySQL and get it to work.

APR it's a necessity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2006 02:07PM by Terry James.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
$INCLUDE Apache Portable Runtime Libraries [APR]
January 15, 2006 02:05PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.