MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Docs

SOURCE - badly explained in the docs?
Posted by: Denis Simonet
Date: March 15, 2007 06:21AM

hi

A few weeks ago, I looked for a way to execute the content of a file using MySQL queries. I didn't succeed to find anything in the reference manual because I looked for an entry like it exists for SELECT, UPDATE, INSERT, ...
After searching with google I found the SOURCE command then, which works fine.

To come to the point: My objection is, that it actually is hard to find that command and that i couldn't find an explicit definition of it (so i dare to say: it isn't documented). I only can assume, that it's syntax is:
SOURCE path/to/file.sql;

Maybe it should be added explicitly into the docs and not always implicitly be used so you just assume it's existence? I don't know, if it is possible to add options to such a query (like: use \r\n or use \n file format (or is it detected automatically?) etc).

If I am just being too dumb to find it's definition please tell me the URL to it and I'll be silent ;)

Kind regards,
Denis 'SciFi' Simonet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2007 06:22AM by Denis Simonet.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
SOURCE - badly explained in the docs?
March 15, 2007 06:21AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.