MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Docs

reference manual: hyperlinks for keywords, "user comments" ratings??
Posted by: nmanik
Date: May 30, 2005 11:03PM

Hi,
I find the MySQL reference manual in the web very useful as I am a newbie, but I also find it too overwhelming (with detail).

I understand that details are necessary to make the specifications precise. However, there should be some workaround to make the information less overwhelming and hence quickly accessible/readable. Here are a few suggestions that I would be interested to know if people have thought about before.
1) Each command has a syntax with several keywords. If there are links from each keyword to the text describing the keyword, it would accelerate learning new keywords in a command. For eg., I want to know what "having" does in a 'select' command, right now I search for the 'having' keyword in the reference page for 'select'. It would be nice to quickly go to the 'having' section in the 'select' reference page.
2) User comments are helpful but they add another level of overwhelming detail. Ratings for user comments (for eg. as done in vim editor tips in vim website) can help newbies look only at the top rated comments and ignore all others.

While I am at it, let me also ask a newbie question: Is there any way to look up the syntax of a mysql command from inside mysql prompt? Right now, I access the mysql reference manual in the web everytime I want to know a new command. Are there easier ways to do this?

Thanks so much,
Mani

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
reference manual: hyperlinks for keywords, "user comments" ratings??
May 30, 2005 11:03PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.