MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL & Storage

How to configure old hardware for a dedicated MySQL server...
Posted by: Andrew McCall
Date: November 22, 2006 09:15AM

Hi Folks,

I originally posted this to the Newbie forum, but didn't get a reply, seen as though its mostly about my RAID configuration and paritioning I thought I would re-post it here.

I have recently got hold of some old Sun equipment, and I thought it would be good to set it up as a dedicated MySQL database server so I can learn more about MySQL. The hardware I have is:

Sun Ultra 2 Enterprise
2x300MHz SPARC 64-Bit CPU's
768Mb RAM
Internal 2x4Gb Hard Disks
External 12x9Gb Hard Disks
Solaris 10

I am probably going to be using it for a blog software, photo-gallery software and general "messing around" while learning SQL and MySQL :), because of this the hardware should be more than enough - but I would still like to get the best out of this hardware. Can anyone give me opinions on how to set this up? Due to the age of the system I am going to have to tune it to its maximum so I can get the best out of it. Some of the things I have been wondering are, should I run MySQL as a 64Bit binary? How would it be best to configure the hard disks?

Thanks,

Andrew McCall

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
How to configure old hardware for a dedicated MySQL server...
November 22, 2006 09:15AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.