MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL & Storage

Hardware for primarily insertions…
Posted by: Curt Past
Date: March 05, 2007 08:28AM

To whom it may concern,

In short, I’m looking to expand / tune our database to accommodate a vast amount of new information. It is evident that our hardware may be inadequate for our needs. I’m am wondering if I am in the right place to ask for some guidance. Some preliminary Things to consider (I’m told) are:

Q1) What size data are we trying to hold?

Q2) How long should the data be available for generating reports?

Q3) What insertion speeds are desired?

Current Configuration:
I’m running 5.0.27 on a 4 GB ram PC supporting anywhere from 2 – 8 users at any given time.

A1) The new information needs are basically 2 - 3GB of text files that are downloaded each month. 98% of the time this information will be use only once to calculate a generalized metric about its content, then rarely accessed thereafter. This suggests that the primary focus on the hardware should be insertion speed rather than report generation.

A2) The information once available, shall be generalized and saved in a smaller, easier to query table. I have not yet thought about purging old data, and my research thus far has only suggested it would be a good idea.

A3) Fast.

Therefore, if anyone has any tips about hardware that has the following criteria, or any suggestions about what to research / consider further, I’d all ears.

I’m looking for hardware the:
a) Is easily integrated with MySQL 5.0.27
b) Can focus on primarily a high insertion rate.
c) ... and anything else I obviously forgot

Thanks for your help and consideration

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Hardware for primarily insertions…
March 05, 2007 08:28AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.