MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL & Storage

Best HDD layout for data warehouse
Posted by: Matt H
Date: July 24, 2007 03:13AM

Just about to order a new server to run a data warehouse. Will be a Dell PE1950 with 4GB and 4 x 73GB SCSI's and an Intel quad-core. What's the best layout? Don't especially want to run RAID5. Due to certain restrictions I may have to place the staging tables on the same server so was thinking about having the 1st disk for the OS and apps, 2 disks striped for the main tables, and the 4th disk for the staging and archive(eventually) tables. Does this sound OK? I'll also be running Business Objects Server XI on the same machine, but it's not going to be massively overstressed, the data update isn't huge and I may be able to run the staging tables on a different server - but that may be difficult. Will have at least a twice-daily backup to a separate server. The database itself will be running MyISAM tables and the 4 staging dimension lookup tables will be held in memory, but they are 250k max.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Best HDD layout for data warehouse
July 24, 2007 03:13AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.