MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL & Storage

MySQL and file storage
Posted by: Alan Moran
Date: October 07, 2010 03:20AM

Hello All,

I have a reasonably small database (c. 7G) which stores data related to files found on the filesystem. Up to now we have used NetApp/NFS for all datafiles (tablespaces, logfiles, binary logs) and our database runs in a replicated environment. I am now considering moving the files (c. 5.5M) into the database for better transactional safety but will probably retain NFS storage as is (i.e., datafiles stay where they are etc.) - a lot of files are less than 10K, most are less than 100K but there are some that are considerably large (i.e., several MB)

Has anyone got detailed experience with managing file assets in a database ? e.g., access times etc. Does anyone have general tuning tips (e.g., options) or advice on storage engines and row formats etc. ? Any thoughts welcome.

I have heard that backups run slower but imagine this is less of a concern if we are using NFS snapshots (i.e., we won't want to use mysqldump etc.)

Regards,
Alan.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
MySQL and file storage
October 07, 2010 03:20AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.