MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL & Storage

Re: Mysql + RedHat Cluster + GFS
Posted by: Brandon Allhands
Date: November 25, 2006 07:22AM

Never realized this forum was updated, until I was looking at one of the sites we own, and someone posted to MY blog about this thread.

As for the setup we talked about here, we finally ditched it. It was entirely way to slow, and instead we ditch mysql cluster and just went with replictated slaves.

As for the comment about recovery, yes, it would be interesting, which is why we relied heavily on backups in that case. The entire time I was running this setup, we did not have any issues requiring any form of recovery, as GFS was very accurate and an excellent file system. The only problem was speed. I guess if you have an unlimited amount of resources and a whole lot of time, a setup like this would work, but in the end MySQL cluster would be the best solution on such an unrealistic budget.

I am ready to look at mysql cluster again, and will hopefully set up another test environment for it soon. This was almost a year ago when I played with it last, and it appears they have fixed a lot of the things that was drving me crazy.

MySQL is a wonderful DB server, and I prefer it hands down over MSSQL. If cluster works as well as I think it can, then MySQL will finally be able to take a substantial bite out of Oracle as well. When designed with the redhat cluster suite, it is finally a reality to be able to build out highly available, clustered systems with full redundancy, all with open source software.

And some people still question why I'm an open source guy.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
February 12, 2006 03:40AM
Re: Mysql + RedHat Cluster + GFS
November 25, 2006 07:22AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.