MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL & Storage

NTFS recommended allocation unit size
Posted by: Gary Wilson
Date: February 11, 2006 08:29AM

Hi

Wondering if anyone has any information on the recommened allocation unit size for a NTFS partition on a Windows Server 2003 R2 box with the following configuration:

HP DL380 G4
Dual Xeon 3.2Ghz
4Gb RAM
System - 2 X 36.4 Gb (15k rpm) SCSI (RAID 1) - Smart 6i Embedded RAID
Database - 4 X 72Gb (15k rpm) SCSI (RAID 1+0) - 6400 PCI RAID Controller (128Mb)

I am dedicating the second RAID array which is separate from the system array (duplex SCIS configuration) to the MySQL DB entirely to ensure optimum performance. Further the RAID 1+0 (10) configuration should (I think) provide the best performance. However having used diskpart.exe to create the partition and align it so as to minimise head seeks, I want to know what the optimum Allocation Unit size is for the NTFS partition format. The default is 4K (4096), however is this the MOST EFFICIENT size for a DB???

The db is expected to grow around 30Gb per year more or less. At the moment we are going to run both the MyISAM and InnoDB storage engines, with a view to move all over to InnoDB in the future.

Any information on the optimum configuration is this case would be most appreciated as I have found no documentation which specifically addresses the optimum NTFS Allocation unit size with regard to dedicated MySQL storage.

Regards
Gary Wilson

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
NTFS recommended allocation unit size
February 11, 2006 08:29AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.