MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL & Storage

MySQL: Hardware RAID5 vs RAID10 analyses
Posted by: Edwin DeSouza
Date: February 13, 2006 03:49PM

Recently I had a chance to revisit question of RAID5 vs RAID10 performance for MySQL OLTP workloads (Random IO). The previous set of benchmarks
I've done for MySQL Users Conference almost two years ago were done on RH AS 3 and 8 Drive SATA 7200 Drives connected via 3Ware 8500 or something.
In that configuration RAID5 looked horrible compared to RAID10 showing absolutely terrible performance.

This time I've tested on Dell PowerEdge 2850 with 6 10000RPM SCSI drives connected to embedded RAID (LSI MegaRaid) with 256MB of cache and battery backed up. Operation system was CentOS 4.2 x86_64, ext3 file system.

I've used SysBench this time to get to the roots of performance, rather than adding MySQL on top which could possibly have its own problems of loading
drives efficiently. Here is the run option I've used after "preparing" 32GB dataset:
http://peter-zaitsev.livejournal.com/14415.html

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
February 13, 2006 03:49PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.