2 Qs: Multiple Queries vs. LEFT JOIN & Table Names
Posted by: David Nobody
Date: June 06, 2006 02:41PM

Hello all,

I am new to this forum, but have been using MySQL for a few years now. I try to increase my knowledge of it whenever I have the opportunity to try something new in a project. Recently I have been working on a website and came across a situation which I thought might warrant using a LEFT JOIN, but I am not sure of its efficiency compared to the way I'd normally do things.

Question 1: I have 3 tables: one for users and two others containing additional, optional information about each user. The user table has 3 fields, 1 that points to the first table and 2 that point to the second table. Not all users have a profile or addresses.

users
+-----+-----+------+------+--
| uid | pid | aid1 | aid2 | etc...
+-----+-----+------+------+--

profiles
+-----+------+--
| pid | name | etc...
+-----+------+--

addresses
+-----+--------+--
| aid | street | etc...
+-----+--------+--

At some point, I want to find all the information available about the user. Normally I would query for the user by his ID, then make additional queries based on the information found in his profile and address fields. This results in up to 3 queries. On the other hand, I can use 1 query with a big LEFT JOIN.

SELECT
u.*,
p.pid, p.name,
a1.aid AS aid1,
a2.aid AS aid2,
a1.street AS street1,
a2.street AS street2
FROM
users AS u LEFT JOIN profiles AS p ON u.profile=p.pid
LEFT JOIN addresses AS a1 ON u.aid1=a1.aid
LEFT JOIN addresses AS a2 ON u.aid2=a2.aid
WHERE
u.uid=[X]

This returns one result set with all the data I need. Now, I have read a bit about LEFT JOINs, but I don't know how efficient they are. Is the above statement better than doing 3 queries on tables with potentially thousands of entries? Why or why not? Is there a better way?

Question 2: My boss insists on the following naming convention:
Table Names: tableName
Field Names: tableName_fieldName

That seems redundant and very unnecessary to me, especially when I write queries which contain "tableName.tableName_fieldName". However, there may be some benefit of which I am unaware. Is there? What is a good naming convention?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
2 Qs: Multiple Queries vs. LEFT JOIN & Table Names
June 06, 2006 02:41PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.