Dynamic filtering results during query ?
Posted by: Will J
Date: March 26, 2007 02:47PM

If I were to have a table listing up to a million records, for the sake of this we will say books as follows.

|BookID|BookTitle|Author|Description|

I'd have registered users, who can supply a list of books they already have, or authors they hate - so that when they search the book database they don't get results by authors they hate, or any of the books they've already got.

So somewhere (another table with billions of records? an XML file for each user?) I would have a list of 1000 books they have/authors they don't like.

So i'd like to be able to query saying show all matching books where BookID != books I own OR Author != Authors I hate.

This would all be part of a web app, PHP/MySQL with potentially thousands/millions of searches a day and a list of books to exclude potentially growing by 100 per day per user.

My question is, are there any best practice/standard/inbuilt functions/ways of doing such a query with such a potentially large amount of data ?

Has anyone got any thoughts/links/suggestions on how such a scenario could be done ?

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Dynamic filtering results during query ?
March 26, 2007 02:47PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.