Finding records with no join
Posted by: Ari Maniatis
Date: June 04, 2007 04:58AM

I have an SQL question for which I'd be grateful for any help. I hope this is an appropriate place to post. In short, I have a table (Tasks) which are related to (Person) via a many-many join table (Task_Person). I need to find all Tasks which are not joined at all (have no Task_Person records in the join).

I know how to do this with HAVING and a count, but this doesn't really help in my case. I have a query with a fair amount of logic in it already. Essentially I want to add to that a clause in the where:

WHERE COUNT(tp.ID) = 0 OR ...

Of course, I know that I can't put this into the where clause, so another solution is needed.

Thanks very much in advance
Ari Maniatis

-----

Following is a simplified version of the current SQL;

SELECT *,
GROUP_CONCAT(assignedPerson.FirstName ORDER BY assignedPerson.FirstName SEPARATOR ', ') AS AssignedName, tpMe.IsUnread AS unreadForMe, tpMe.IsAssigned AS assignedToMe

FROM Task AS t
LEFT JOIN Task_person AS tpMe ON (t.ID = tpMe.Task_ID AND tpMe.Person_ID = -1)
LEFT JOIN Task_person AS tp ON (t.ID = tp.Task_ID AND tp.IsAssigned = 1)
LEFT JOIN Person AS assignedPerson ON (assignedPerson.ID = tp.Person_ID AND assignedPerson.Permissions = 100)
WHERE tpMe.IsUnread = 1 OR (Status < 4 AND t.Action_Datetime < '1970-01-22 00:00:00' AND tp.Person_ID IN (-644))
GROUP BY t.ID

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Finding records with no join
June 04, 2007 04:58AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.