Design question/problem
Posted by: Tim Russell
Date: July 11, 2007 10:31PM

I'm using apache and PHP to write a web interface to a Mysql 5.x database for tracking changes to servers and network equipment. I'll keep this as short as I can.

Basically, there are about 4 tables I'm concerned about.
1. Hardware table - serial numbers, asset tags, manufacturer, CPU, Memory, etc.
2. Software Config - operating system, ip address, serial number,etc. I join this to the hardware table based on serial number.
3. Virtual machines - basically a combination of the hardware and software config tables.
4. Maintenance log - log of changes to servers (virtual and physical)

I'd like to be able to view the state of a server when it was entered into the maintenance table. If I associate it to a record in the hardware/software tables...when memory is upgraded in a server, the log entries for that server would no longer show the old memory size. Can I just dump the current server config into each maintenance log record? This doesn't seem like a good idea but I'm not sure what else to do. I let records be tagged inactive instead of deleted so I preserve history when a server is removed...but when I edit a server record a new row isn't created so the info for the maintenance record changes.

Finally, should my virtual servers be in the same table as regular servers? I think I can make it work but I'm just not sure the design is very good.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Design question/problem
July 11, 2007 10:31PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.