Storing conditions - feedback appreciated
Posted by: Greg Kronenberger
Date: November 02, 2007 06:19AM

Hi,

I am working on a project with a friend of mine and we are having some trouble coming up with a nice database design. The goal is creating a site which lets customers compare borrowing rates from different mortgage companies. We have a reasonable design for just about every `easy' part, but are having trouble coming up with a smart way to handle `additional conditions'. Lenders have some conditions that make lending more expensive depending upon several factors. For example, if the mortgage amount is more than 70%, the interest rate will be .25% higher. These factors vary between banks and also over time, i.e. banks change them every quarter or so.

I guess the easiest solution to this problem would be to put these checks into the application logic, however I think that hardcoded values are hard to maintain, therefore would prefer some form of DB-based solution. My best attempt at this problem would be a table that parametizes conditions.

Let's say that we can abstract conditions into this form:
<Conditional Value> <Logical Test> <Reference Value>
if true
    return <Modification Value> <Modifier> 
else
    return <Modification Value>

I was thinking to create a table that the following six colums in addition to an artificial key and a foreign key to the lender:
    [*] <Conditional Value>
    [*] <Logical Test>
    [*] <Reference Value>
    [*] <Modification Value>
    [*] <Modifier>

Then I would create a stored procedure that selects all conditions from a particular lender and executes them one after another in the pattern shown above.

While I am sure that I could put this together and get it to work, I am not particularly happy with it, since it appears somewhat hacked together to me. What do you think?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Storing conditions - feedback appreciated
November 02, 2007 06:19AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.