correct database design?
Posted by: John Smith
Date: March 13, 2008 12:34PM

Hey everybody,

I'm new to mysql, so I hope it's okay to post this here, but I believe it's a database design question.

I'm developing a real estate website, mostly for condos. I'm setting up the database and want to make sure it's sufficiently designed so that customers can search the database for the type of place they want.

Specifically, if someone wants to search for the number of rooms in the condo. Some properties have a range of rooms, so they will have 1, 2, and 3 bedroom condos available, and I want them to be able to search for price related to those properties, and obviously the prices for each condo would be different based on the number of rooms, even if they're in the same property.

Would it be wise to setup the database so that each property has a different database entry for the number of rooms (i.e. one entry for condo company, 1 bedroom, $200,000 | one entry for condo company, 2 bedrooms, $300,000) OR should I do one entry for the property and separate columns for 1 bedroom, 1 bedroom price, 2 bedroom, 2 bedroom price, etc.?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
correct database design?
March 13, 2008 12:34PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.