How to design a properties database
Posted by: Adam Dougherty
Date: June 04, 2008 07:01PM

I'm developing a site that allows users to design their own vehicle.

It is a fluid "drag and drop" system that stores design information in a database. The system is centered around "objects" (or "layers") where users can add 1 or more object/layer types (e.g. a car door) when designing their vehicle.

Initially the db design seemed relatively simple, and I planned on having an OBJECTS table, with an "object type" column.

Things became complicated when object "properties" came into play. All objects would have global properties like X position, Y position, etc, and the logical approach would be to just have all those properties as separate columns in the OBJECTS table. However, the complications arise when I considered type specific properties - For example: a car door object would have a color property, a handle property, and a trim property. Whereas a window object might only have a tint property.

I've been thinking about it for hours, and I couldn't come up with a logically efficient way to store type specific property data. As it is now, I have a different table for every different type of OBJECT type (e.g. OBJECT_door), but when I have to select and retrieve information via PHP I basically have to run a separate query on each object table, which to me, seems terribly inefficient.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
How to design a properties database
June 04, 2008 07:01PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.