Re: N-to-N Model: Table Size vs Complexity
Posted by: P. White
Date: May 14, 2009 08:33AM

Hi.
I'm also working on a project with exactly the same scenario, and currently use UNION to return the results I require (partially because I prefer it, and partially to avoid the scenario where 'A' is a friend of 'B', but 'B' is NOT a friend of 'A').

However, I am very much a newbie in this area, and though everything works, I have no idea on how efficiently it works. Testing with data with a population of about 10 is one thing, using in a live environment with a population of tens of thousands is quite another!

Therefore, may I extend this query, and ask how I should be tuning the initial setup? In my particular case, the friendship links do not change all that frequently, but are mostly read. What storage engine should I be looking at, and how should it be indexed?

at the moment, I have:

CREATE TABLE `db`.`friends` (
`a` char(10) NOT NULL COMMENT 'SELECT a FROM friends WHERE b = person UNION SELECT b FROM friends WHERE a = person',
`b` char(10) NOT NULL,
KEY `friend` (`b`),
KEY `person` USING BTREE (`a`)
) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 ROW_FORMAT=DYNAMIC COMMENT='mapping relationships between people';

Many thanks.

Phil.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.