dynamic schema modeling and performance
Posted by: RJ Ewing
Date: April 12, 2017 07:47AM

I'm looking for thoughts on the best way to handle dynamic schemas.

The application I am developing revolves around user defined entities. Each entity is a tabular dataset with user defined columns and data types. Entities can also be related to each other through Parent-Child relationships. Some entities will be 100% user driven, while others (such as an entity representing a photo) will be partially user driven (all photo entities will have common fields + custom user additions).

I was hoping to get opinions on whether mysql would be a suitable backend. A couple of options I have thought of are:

1. Each entity is represented as a table in mysql. The table schema would be dynamically updated (with limits) when an entity mapping is updated. I believe that this would provide the best data constraints and allow the best data normalization. A concern I have is that there could be an enormous amount of tables generated and the performance impacts this might have in the future. I could then run elasticsearch as a denormalized cache for efficient querying and full-text-search.

2. Use a nosql database. This provides the "dynamic" schema aspect. A concern here is the lack of relation support, thus leading to a more denormalized data structure and the potential for the data to become corrupted.

Is dynamically creating a table for each entity a bad idea? I can see something like creating a database for each project (group of related entities) and then creating a table for each entity. I don't expect having more than a few thousand projects anytime soon. We have a relatively targeted audience.

Or would it be better to use 1 general table with a json data type and create a denormalized index elsewhere for querying?

Any opinions on the use of mysql for this case, or other options would be greatly appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
dynamic schema modeling and performance
April 12, 2017 07:47AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.