... various other fields
PRIMARY KEY (`ID`),
KEY `MemberA_status` (`MemberA`,`status`),
KEY `MemberB_status` (`MemberB`,`status`),
... various other indexes
);

CREATE TABLE `tblDates` (
`tblID` int unsigned NOT NULL, -- <-- tbl.ID
`type` enum('T1','T2','T3','T4','T5','T6','T7','T8','T9','T10','T11','T12', ... 'T50') NOT NULL,
`MemberA` int unsigned DEFAULT NULL,
`MemberB` int unsigned DEFAULT NULL,
`createdDT` datetime DEFAULT NULL,
`createdDate` date GENERATED ALWAYS AS (cast(`createdDT` as date)) VIRTUAL,
PRIMARY KEY (`tblID`,`type`), -- <-- one date `type` per `tblID`
KEY `MemberA_type_createdDate` (`MemberA`,`type`,`createdDate`),
KEY `MemberB_type_createdDate` (`MemberB`,`type`,`createdDate`),
KEY `tblID_type_createdDate` (`tblID`, `type`, `createdDate`)
);

Essentially `tblDates` is a location to store a variety of dates acquired from various tables associated with `tbl`. Some of those dates are min/max aggregate values from audit type tables and some are dates stored directly on `tbl`. This allows me to quickly identify large numbers of `tbl` records without having to perform aggregates.

NOTE: `tbl`.ID = `tblDates`.`tblID` is implied for all of these various queries discussed.

`MemberA/B` and the two additional keys on `tblDates` (`MemberA/B_type_createdDate`) are so I can quickly identify `tbl` records where `tblDates`.`MemberA/B` = 'specific ID' and `tblDates`.`type` = 'specific type` and `tblDates`.`createdDate` = 'some specific date or range'. This works great and is very fast for multi-millions of records. Index `tblID_type_createdDate` was added in an attempt to avoid the file sort issue discussed below but it's totally spitballing and

The need is to be able to identify `tbl` records where `tbl`.`MemberA/B` = 'specific ID' and `tbl`.`status` = 'specific status' ordered by `tblDates`.`type` = 'specific type` & `tblDates`.`createdDate`.

I'm trying to avoid the temporary/filesort that I'm seeing. Example:

select `tbl`.`ID`, ...., `tblDates`.`createdDate`
from `tbl`
join `tblDates`
on `tblDates`.`tblID` = `tbl`.ID
and `tblDates`.`type` = 'specific type'
where `tbl`.`MemberA/B` = 'specific ID'
and `tbl`.`status` = 'specific status`
order by `tblDates`.`createdDate`

`tblDates` as a concept is a new and still in development so I'm not sure if I need to structure it differently or if I'm just not able to query it in a way that will not result in that temporary/filesort.

I'm using MySQL 8.newest so if there is anything I can leverage I'm game. Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
avoiding temp/filesort for order by on child table
January 11, 2021 09:52AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.