Connection Timing out
Posted by: Claus Mygind
Date: December 07, 2012 07:36AM

I am a newbie to this forum, so sorry if this is posted in the wrong group.

I have an existing dBase desktop app that connects remotely to my MySQL server.

Client Computer:
MS Xp 32 bit
MySQL ODBC connector 3.51.29
dBase 2.61.3
BDE 5.01

MySQL Server:
MS Xp 32 bit
MySQL 5.0.27-comunity-nt via TCP/IP

Recently we upgraded our connection lines between the two buildings housing the client machines (3 clients) and the MySQL server. Our previous connection was a 384K (sharing both data and phone traffic), the new connection is 3Mb (data only).

The app has run for about 3 years with no problems. Once the upgraded phone line was installed the app (on all three workstations) started to drop the connection between the client and server. Error messages like these come up "Lost connection to server" or "Server has gone away".

Initially I had no error trapping. So when the error occured the user was kicked out of the program. The data is stored in a local dbf table before transmission to the MySQL server. When the user reloads the app and resend the data, it is done instantly.

I added an try/catch error trap and looped 100 times before timing out with minimal success.

I am not sure if this is a dBase, BDE or ODBC problem. I can capture the error and I may even get that to work eventhough I don't understand the problem. But the timing out process is too long 30 to 45 seconds.

Can the MySQL ODBC driver be set to shorten the time out problem?

I do not want to make adjustments to the MySQL server if possible. I have both dBase and php Web apps that connect with no problem to the server.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Connection Timing out
December 07, 2012 07:36AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.