MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Falcon

Welcome to the Falcon Forum
Posted by: Jim Starkey
Date: January 04, 2007 08:00PM

Welcome to the Falcon forum! I'd like ths forum to be a bidirectional discussion between the user community and the Falcon development team. We want to share with you want we've learned about Falcon during development (funny how you have to learn about a product that you're created with your own hands), why decisions were made one way rather than another, what works and what could stand a little more attention. In return, we want to understand your concerns, hopes, and asperations for the newest storage engine on the block, where we got it right, and where we got it wrong.

Something I've learned over the years is that people never use your software the way you expected them to. I don't expect Falcon to be any different. We've tried to put together a first approximation of what a transactional MySQL storage engine should be. We need to validate our assumptions, and you need to reallign use when we've blow it.

Our intention for alpha is to have a rapid release cycle that will allow us to respond to feedback in the most timely manner possible. Balanced against this desire is the recognition that a bad release won't do any of us any good. I expect that many of you will find quite creative ways to convince Falcon to crash and burn. We'll do our best to respond quickly, but while I can't promise 24 turn around, we'll do what we can.

Do keep in mind that Falcon is now (or will shortly be) in alpha release. If we didn't expect the odd, er, speed bump, we would have called this a beta. It isn't. It is, in fact, the first public exposure of some very aggressive and sophisticated database software.

We've got a growing list of things to do before we enter beta. Please feel free to lobby (gently) for your favorite missing feature. I can't promise that we'll be able to do everything for V1.0 -- if we did, I'd be out of a job. We do, however, value your feedback. We'll do our best to make Falcon the premire MySQL storage engine for at least the next decade (no, Firebird isn't my oldest product still on the market -- HP (formerly Compaq formerly DEC) Datatrieve is still going strong).

Let's have fun and make each other smarter in the process.

Welcome to Falcon!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Welcome to the Falcon Forum
January 04, 2007 08:00PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.