Advanced Search

MySQL Fabric - Failover Testing
Posted by: Neil Mcalister ()
Date: December 09, 2016 05:08AM

ENVIRONMENT
MySQL Enterprise 5.6.34
MySQL Utilities 1.5.6
MySQL Python Connector 2.1.0

I am testing high availability for MySQL and have created a 3 node replication group server1(master), server2 & server3(slaves). I have also installed MySQL Fabric on a separate server(fab1) and have successfully set up a Fabric group to monitor my 3 replication servers.

I have tested that failover works ok by shutting down server1 and seeing that server2 is promoted to be the primary and that replication continues to work ok. When I restart server1 and bring it back into the replication group as the master again it catches up on any updates and everything continues to work ok. So far I'm impressed and happy but this is all very basic stuff.

Next test was to switch master again by shutting down server1, again server2 is promoted to be the master server. I do some updates on server2 which are replicated to server3. I then restart server1 and promote it to be master and it catches up on updates made on server2 whilst it was down. Meanwhile, using the open client connection made when server2 was the primary, I make some further updates and drop a table. These do not get replicated to either server1 or server3 as the status of server2 within the Fabric group is now SECONDARY READ_ONLY. So now I have one server in my group that is out of sync with the others. When I try to do an update on server1(primary) to the table that was dropped on server2 I get a replication error and server2 required recovery.

As I'm fairly new to MySQL I'm guessing this is more to do with my lack of knowledge than a flaw in the design of MySQL & Fabric. Am I trying to do something it's not designed to do? Should I be checking all client connections are terminated prior to doing the 'failback' and making server1 the primary again?

Thanks in advance for you help. Regards Neil

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2016 05:13AM by Neil Mcalister.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
MySQL Fabric - Failover Testing 472 Neil Mcalister 12/09/2016 05:08AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.