MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL Workbench

When connecting to Server 5.6: password hash should be a 41-digit hexadecimal number (code 1372)
Posted by: Rob Wagner
Date: September 09, 2019 11:47AM

Hi - I'm running Workbench 8.0.17, and when connecting to a MySQL 5.6 server as a user with an expired password, I get prompted to change my password ("Password for MySQL account blah expired. Please pick a new password.") I enter my old password and a new password, click OK, and then I get "Password hash should be a 41-digit hexadecimal number (code 1372).

Only seems to happen when connecting to 5.6; connections to 5.7 are fine. And if I connect to the same 5.6 server with the same account using the MySQL CLI, it works fine:

rowagn@dig229au:~#> /sso/sfw/mysql/bin/mysql -utest -ptest -hblah.com
Warning: Using a password on the command line interface can be insecure.
Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 1016592
Server version: 5.6.10

Copyright (c) 2000, 2017, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

Oracle is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation and/or its
affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective
owners.

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement.

mysql> use information_schema
ERROR 1820 (HY000): You must SET PASSWORD before executing this statement
mysql> set password = password('test123');
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.01 sec)

I suspect Workbench is sending "set password = 'secretPassword'" instead of "set password = password('secretPassword')".

Any way to resolve this? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
When connecting to Server 5.6: password hash should be a 41-digit hexadecimal number (code 1372)
September 09, 2019 11:47AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.