MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL Workbench

Access denied for user 'root'@localhost (using password: YES)
Posted by: Diarmuid O'Brien
Date: December 07, 2020 02:56PM

Having installed MySQL server in my Win10 machine, I can successfully have my password validated at will when configuring settings in the installer. However, Workbench rejects the same password every time with the above error, and so does the command prompt using the 'mysql -uroot -p' sequence. Cleary they both dislike it. Why might this be, and what can I do about it? MySQL80 is running in services.

Some thoughts come to mind:

- MySQL installer doesn't seem to specify the user name, whilst the other methods are essentially telling me that the u/n + p/w combination is invalid, rather than the p/w specifically. How can I check that 'root' has access to the server as a user?

- I've used a special character in the p/w. is it possible that some authentication methods approve of such a character [e.g. MySQL server installation] whilst other don't [e.g. command prompt and WB]?

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.