MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL Workbench

Can connect to AWS MySQL with Workbench, but not Client
Posted by: Rufus Vernon
Date: April 07, 2022 06:37PM

I can connect to a new Amazon RDS MySQL instance from my MySQL Workbench, but when I try to connect with my MySQL client, I get a syntax error message. I thought this forum might best know the difference between how Workbench and the Client connect. (Please don't hesitate to redirect me if should be asking in the Newbie or other forum.)

I believe the command should be-
mysql -h AWS_endpoint -P 3306 -u admin -p;

But I get-
ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'mysql -h ▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪.us-east-2.rds.amazonaws.com -P 3306 -u ' at line 1

This is the same endpoint, port and user that I used for the Workbench connection.

After Googling, searching Youtube, and querying these forums, I've wondered if I need to change a setting in my.ini. But there is no entry with 127.0.0.1 or similar that looks interesting.

I don't have a my.cnf file.

The version of MySQL is 8.0.28 on both my Windows 10 PC and AWS.

TIA.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.