MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL Workbench

Re: Windows Vista Data Execution Prevention Error
Posted by: Steve Morton
Date: July 14, 2008 09:16PM

Ok, found a solution. First a warning to all you out there who are doing google searches on Data Execution Prevention (DEP). There are several referances to turning DEP on and off via the cmd run under Administrator previledges by execution the following commands in the command window. When enabling:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn
When disabling:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

Doing this will disable the feature when accessed via the System - Advanced -Data Execution Prevention. Otherwords it will be grayed out. Also, IE7 will stop working. What you have to do is execute the following two commands. When enabling:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn
bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx optin

The trick is the second command to optin. This will bring back the DEP in the System and also will correct the IE7 issue.

Now, to the fix (or workaround) for this topic issue. After several attempts to search for a fix with no success I happend to access the Task Manager to see what was running when I activated the Workbench as it starts. I noticed before it crashed it started a splash screen which is what you see at the start up of Workbench. I then remembered something that I read duing an earlier trouble shooting when I starting to first use Vista. It concerns the Windows Vista Theme will cause some apps to crash. So, I went into the display settings and changed the them to Clasic Window, went back and started the Workbench and it ran without a problem. You then just have to change the theme back after using the Workbench.

So the issue is not with the Workbench application, but with the splash screen at the startup not being compatable with the default Windows Vista Theme.

There may be a way to prevent the splash screen from displaying but have not found it yet.

Hope this helps some of you guys that have been looking at this topic.

For some of you with problems with Vista I would suggest changeing the Theme and see if it solve your problem.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: Windows Vista Data Execution Prevention Error
July 14, 2008 09:16PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.