MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL Workbench

Some questions, some usability complaints
Posted by: Jan Juricek
Date: July 16, 2008 04:04AM

In this post is too many things to just put it all as bug reports or feature requests. Moreover, maybe there is something I'm missing and it would be invalid report/request.

1) Where can I set default length of VARCHAR field if default (45) is not optimal for my case?

2) How to force a change of the data type of foreign key columns in every related table, when I change the column type in the "main" table?

- Create two tables with single column numeric primary keys

- Create a M:N relation

- Change data type of the relation-column, lets say from INT to MEDIUMINT

- Now I would expect both tables to have a MEDIUMINT column.

3) Since primary key colum can have set a default data type

- Where do I force the "Unsigned" and "Auto increment" default settings? Now I have to remember to always check proper checkboxes and I do it for each end every table, so some sort of user-set default behavior would be IMHO highly appreciated.

4) Create a table with 3 columns, numeric or textual data types. Click at the third row to make it highlighted.

- Now change the NOT NULL option of the second row. Why the second row is not highlited and Column details still show the third row? In case that I want to for example set zerofill to the second column, I have to do one more click to focus the second column and that is not effective.

- Even if I click on the second row and then I want to change something in column details and I click EXACTLY at the proper checkbox, only thing that happens is that Column details section gets focus and I have to do again one more click to actually check the checkbox. Why are not those two operations done by a single click?

5) Why there is no direct checkbox for UNSIGNED property in the list of columns? If the reason is "because not numeric types do not use this option", my question is "so why is there the AUTO_INCREMENT checkbox, which can be used only by one column?" I cannot see which columns are unsigned and which aren't, can I?

6) Why is allowed to insert longer table comment than MySQL allows?

7) Doubleclick on table in MySQL Model tab (list of all tables) opens table editation. Why this doesn't work on doubleclick on a table in some model view?

8) Why can't I open edit tab of some table from "Catalog" tool window?

9) Why are tables in DB created with utf8_general_ci when they have set "Use schema default" and in schema default is set "utf8_czech_ci"?

10) If I change a column type of some column which has foreign key relation (no matter the direction), why the column type is not changed on all other column occurences? I have table A, table B, connected via row_id, both INT ... I set A.row_id from INT to SMALLINT, but B.row_id remains INT.

N) How can get my money for the SE version back? I will gladly switch back to old old dbdesigner which worked faster and with less annoying bugs. This software is really wasting way too much of my time. Maybe next major version will be better, but now, it's just not reliable.

Thanks for any answers.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Some questions, some usability complaints
July 16, 2008 04:04AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.